French's Mother's Day Recipes
Cooking with Your Kids–Creating Meals & Memories
Quick & Easy Mother’s Day Recipes That Taste Terrific, Too!
(May 2008)— No matter how you’ve celebrated Mother’s Day in years past, why not try something new and different this year – cooking with your kids. It’s never too early to begin creating meals and memories in the kitchen. FRENCH’S® French Fried Onions can help you create Mother’s Day menu ideas with easy, delicious recipes, all prepared in under 10 minutes. Perhaps you remember the sights, smells and tastes associated with a special relative who taught you how to bake your first cake or knead dough for a loaf of freshly baked bread; now is the time to pass on these memories.
Before getting started, review these simple tips from the French’s test kitchens:
- Always Wash Your Hands.
- Be sure activities are age appropriate. Consider the child’s attention span as well as dexterity.
- Demonstrate proper techniques for common cooking terms such as beating, stirring, chopping, dicing, etc. Kids of any age will enjoy crushing French Fried Onions, whether they do it by hand or with the use of a rolling pin.
- Use this opportunity to introduce new foods - see our recipe for Crunchy Onion Veggies which makes eating vegetables more appealing.
- Take advantage of the educational messages that are available from a geography lesson about where certain foods come from to simple science lessons inherent in baking. Measuring skills also teach math and spelling and reading can also be incorporated into the culinary experience.
The recipes below are not only easy to prepare, but mouthwatering, too. French’s French Fried Onions have a distinct flavorful taste and crunchy texture that are so irresistible, you and your kids will find yourselves eating them straight out of the can. As family and friends are enjoying the Mother’s Day meal, your kids will be bursting with pride thanks to their culinary accomplishments. Perhaps Mother’s Day will be the start of a new family tradition, enjoying quality time with your kids while cooking in the kitchen.
QUICK & CRISPY MAC & CHEESE
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
• 1 1/3 cups FRENCH’S® Cheddar or Original French Fried Onions
• 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can CAMPBELL’S® Condensed Cream of Celery Soup
• 1 1/4 cups milk
• 3 cups cooked elbow pasta (2 cups uncooked)
• 2 cups shredded Cheddar or cubed American cheese
• 1 cup diced cooked ham
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Crush French Fried Onions in plastic bag.
2. Combine soup and milk in 2-quart baking dish. Stir in pasta, cheese, ham and peas. Top with crushed onions.
3. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.
FRENCH’S® CRUNCHY ONION CHICKEN
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Makes 4 servings
• 1 1/3 cups French’s Original or Cheddar French Fried Onions
• 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast halves
• 1 egg, beaten
1. CRUSH French Fried Onions in plastic bag.
2. DIP chicken into egg. Coat in onion crumbs.
3. BAKE at 400°F for 20 min. until no longer pink in center.
CRISPY ONION VEGGIES
Prepare these crispy veggies for Mother’s Day or anytime holiday appetizers.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 10 min.
Makes 6 servings
• 1 1/3 cups FRENCH'S® French Fried Onions or FRENCH'S® Cheddar French Fried Onions
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 to 2 medium zucchini cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
• 1 egg, beaten
1. CRUSH French Fried Onions in plastic bag using hands or rolling pin.
2. PLACE flour into separate bag. Toss zucchini in flour; shake off excess.
3. DIP zucchini pieces into beaten egg; then toss in crushed onions, a few pieces at a time.
4. ARRANGE zucchini on greased rack set over rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 10 min. or until tender.
Crispy Onion Mushrooms:
---Substitute one 10 oz. pkg. whole button mushrooms.
---Proceed as above.
Crunchy Double Onion Rings:
---Crush 2 cups French Fried Onions in plastic bag and toss with 2 Tbsp. flour; set aside.
---Slice 2 large onions into 1/2 inch thick rings. Coat onion rings in 1/4 cup flour. Dip into 2 beaten egg whites, then into crushed French Fried Onion mixture.
---Bake according to recipe above.
Look for French’s Original and Cheddar French Fried Onions in the canned vegetable aisle at your favorite supermarket. For more great recipes and cooking tips from the test kitchen at French’s, please visit www.frenchsfoods.com.
FRENCH’S Foods, a division of Reckitt Benckiser Inc., the maker of FRANK’S® REDHOT® Cayenne Pepper Sauce, is a leading manufacturer, marketer, and distributor of food and household products. Some other well known, trusted household names in the Reckitt Benckiser Inc. family of food products include CATTLEMEN’S® Barbecue Sauce, FRENCH’S® mustards, FRENCH’S® French Fried Onions and FRENCH’S® Potato Stix.